Friday, April 20, 2007

Furthermore

The lamentation will continue, at least for one more post, and then I swear I'll get happy, or funny, or something good will - well, whatever. I think I probably shouldn't write anything about what happened this week, but there are two reasons why I can't leave it alone and maybe they'll fade a bit if I share them:

1. I know exactly what I was doing at 7:15 and 9:45 on Monday morning, the times of the shootings. In the first instance, I was eating Fiber One with granola, skim milk, and strawberries, sitting cross-legged on my bed, watching the Today Show and thinking that I should probably have left the house by now if I wanted to get to work on time. In the second, I had just thrown away the bag of green tea that had been steeping in hot water for the last five minutes. I was annoyed because I hate green tea - I think it tastes like somebody poured water over a clump of rotting leaves, I only drink it because it's so ridiculously healthy - and now that it was ready, I had to force it down. Man, this sucks. That was what I was thinking.

2. I have indirect but important connections to two of the students who died. I've taken to repeating their names out loud for no particular reason and with no particular idea of what I intend to accomplish. The speaking of the names is never a scheduled tribute or an emotional outburst. Simply, I will park the car and say a name. Open the refrigerator and say a name. I never met either of these students.

Now, as a very wise man once said, that's all I have to say about that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shadow Man said...

It is hard to understand some of the things that happen in this world. When a tragedy happens and people die,we all feel sad. We try to figure out what caused it and how to prevent it from happening again. We live our lives the best we can and hope for the best. Tomorrow will be a better day!!

1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home