Friday, March 30, 2007

Gastronomy à la Karl

Fish soufflé
Quail flambé
Protein sachet

Today's entry in the food diary? Nope - it's tomorrow's. Because that's when I'll be starting the zany Karl Lagerfeld diet. Amid the many diet crazes to sweep the nation in recent years (and by "sweep" I mean misinform, traumatize, and finally, sabotage) this one was quite overlooked. I found out about it yesterday, over a lunch of deluxe pizza - one of the many food items Karl would deem unforgiveably indulgent in the way that is typical of Americans.

Our essential Americanness is probably the reason that the K-man's diet never attained Weight Watchers status in this country. We love: pie (both eating and baking, as a kind of heartland sport), spirited encouragement, positivity. We hate: hunger as punishment, harsh metaphors, words with suspect accent marks over the e. Karl gives us none of what we want in a diet plan and everything we don't. A 1,000-calorie limit? Snacks of homeopathic granule? Orders to be a "single soldier" marching toward victory? Dinners of rabbit? I mean, rabbit?! Dude, not unless it's chocolate and wrapped in pink cellophane.

But my favorite recommendation of Karl's is that we not try to lose weight for downer reasons like cardiac health or self-esteem. Rather, we must lose madly in the name of fashion. We must lose so that we become the fourth person in the world on whom skinny jeans are not an atrocity. This, he insists, is actually the best attitude toward weight loss: "nothing in your life depends upon it." You know, I think he's really got something here! Personally, I always have a difficult time succeeding at the things upon which my life does depend - that's why I'm starting this diet tomorrow!

Now, if only I could remember how to flambé a quail...

Read the Slate article, my main souce of information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home