Sunday, April 15, 2007

No-Spring Year

Where is our lightness and light? I can't come up with a current event that isn't bringing us down these days. All the politicians are angry - except one - and everyone wants to see a change in some direction, and although it's been promised, we don't yet have our spring.

Then a guy calls a group of us hos on the open air, and none of us will leave it alone as we should have done (the worst thing to do with bad behavior intended to get a "laugh" is to pay heaping amounts of attention to it), but we can't, obviously, because it was just that stupid, so we're playing catch with blame and bad words, tiring ourselves out to make change, but we still don't have our spring.

And then Kurt Vonnegut dies, a man who wrote highly unlikely stories that are playing out, in fact, right under our stuffed noses, a man who wrote books we could talk back to, or take issue with, or believe. I quoted him at dinner once, to an accusation that I did not support our troops. Our troops are being treated like toys a rich kid got for Christmas, I said, and people looked up, because that was interesting and it made sense. I don't know who will feed me my next good line. It's scary to have to come up with one myself, so in that way maybe I'm not even ready for my spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home