Tuesday, October 03, 2006

On History

I’ve been a web presence before. I wrote a blog called Planet Tracy from January 2001 through March-ish 2003. It was a crazy-brochure that doubled as an issues resource. I posted on such important matters as the link between hand lotion and fire safety. I kicked off the widely supported “Campaign for Water Consumption”. I told of a fantastical future in which history and fun come together and they turn Mont St. Michel into a water park. My readership was vast – dozens of people in my dorm building, over four of my high school colleagues, and as many as one person from the UK.* You can imagine, with stats like that, how my eventual distraction from writing was a blow to the international e-publishing community. Should I ever have the drive again, I vowed to make it up to my fans by producing an even more exciting blog called – this is so inspired – Planet Tracy II.

Then I was recruited to MySpace by a few enthusiastic three-dimensional friends. Therein, I was assured, I would gain popularity via a technologically current, semi-adult version of “Do you like me? Check yes or no”. This was irresistible, so I promptly I discarded all notions of PTII.

But after months of bandwagoning, I have about 20 “friends”, mostly because I never accept anyone I haven’t met in real life (excluding the famous people, I’m not that cool) and I’m shy about asking people to be my “friend”, even if they are my friend. I would make a terrible politician. “Oh, you don’t have to vote for me. No, no, that’s okay. If you don’t want to…I understand, people are different! It’s cool. Really, Mom, it’s fine.”

And so I’ve reverted to my original documentary medium. It’s much better to self-promote in complete sentences.

* Hi, Paul! You were right about Kraft parmesan cheese, it does melt.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a parmesan cheese that melts? For real?

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home